The Gillespie-Malone House, which was moved from its original site fronting Gallatin Road to its present to make way for the construction of East High in 1931. The house was constructed in 1915 in the Classical Revival style and clad in limestone.
The Greek Revival style plantation home, which stood at 931 Main Street, was likely built in the 1860s with its front porch and one-story side wings added later. The property included the land fronting Main Street from McFerrin Street east to Finn Street. Daniel D. Philips bought the property and in 1913 developed it into approximately sixty-two building lots in the newly named Silverdene Subdivision.
In preparation for the construction of the East High School in 1931, the Gillespie house was moved to the rear of the school site with its front orientation moved from the east facing Gallatin Road to the north. The house was originally used as a cafeteria, but later became the residence for the school custodian, Mr. Malone. Today it is used by the East High Alumni Association as a meeting space.
USE OF ALUMNI HOUSE
You must be a dues paying Alumni Member to use the Alumni House
To reserve the Alumni House contact Marilyn Kooch Cell: (615) 330-6873 email@example.com President - BOD East Nashville High Alumni Association
Marilyn has the calendar and can tell you if the Alumni House is available on the date you wish to use it. Since the Alumni House is on Metro School property, no alcohol is allowed on the premises.
- You will need to supply your own tablecloths, plates, napkins, plastic dinnerware, cups, coffee, sweetener and cream.
- If you have/serve food while here, please make sure the floors are clean before you leave. The broom, the dust pan, vacuum cleaner, mop and mop buckets are located behind the standing screen close to the restrooms. Ants are a problem if not cleaned properly. Please leave the Alumni House clean for the next group. You may call Marion Collier to clean it for you for a fee at 262-3568..
- Clean and wipe the counters, sinks and tables. Leave the tops of the coffee makers open to air out after using. Cleaning supplies are under the sink in the kitchen..
- There are cleaning supplies, extra toilet paper and paper towels under the sinks in both restrooms..
- Collect the trash from all the rooms, restrooms and place in the dumpster located outside by the main school building..
- You may move the tables and chairs around for your gathering, but please put everything back the way you found them. DO NOT MOVE THE PIANO!.
- Alumni House is wheelchair accessible..
- Please do not park on brick walkway.
- When exiting the building, make sure all doors are shut properly.
*These items are available for your use:
- Two 12 cup coffee pots
- 1 large 100 cup coffee maker
- large ice maker
- oven with stove top
- side by side refrigerator and freezer
- punch bowl with ladle
- assorted bowls and serving plates
- 10 long tables (96”x30”)
- 3 folding round tables
- 90 folding-chairs
- 1 round table (in kitchen)
- one 96 X 30 table with 7 chairs (in kitchen)
Marilyn Gollnitz Kooch
H. (615) 227-3855C. (615) 330-6873
or Jesse Jones
H. (615) 227-1590 C. (615) 483-2858
*If supplies mentioned above need to be replenished, please advise Marilyn.
To download and print the Alumni House Rules, click here for the PDF.
To download and print the Alumni Use Agreement, click here for the PDF.
TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS ARE APPRECIATED FOR ALUMNI HOUSE
Become a Part of the Legacy of East High
Show your Eagle Pride and add Your Name on a personalized brick to the Legacy in Brick Walkway at the East Alumni House located on the East High Campus. Become a permanent part of this historic site for all to see today!
$50.00 PER BRICK - All funds over the cost of the bricks are contributions to the W. H. Oliver Scholarship Fund. To download and print the Legacy in Brick Application Form, click here for the PDF.